Alternative To OTC
A Comprehensive Alternative To Over-The-Counter Hearing Aids In Anchorage & Eagle River
Convenience. It really is a wonderful thing, which is why when the federal government passed an act in 2017 that allowed the sale of over-the-counter hearing aids.
It was done so in the hope that said convenience would encourage more people to get help with their hearing.
However, just because something is convenient, doesn’t mean to say it is altogether right, and, as your doctors of audiology, we feel it’s our duty to inform you about the possible downsides of buying hearing aids OTC (over-the-counter).
“Emily is amazing! So professional and very knowledgeable! Couldn’t recommend her more!”
Five Reasons We Don’t Recommend Over-The-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids
1. You Miss Out On The Most Important Step: The Hearing Assessment
Convenience has a lot to answer for when it encourages you to skip the most important step of getting the right treatment for your hearing loss.
Without a hearing assessment, it’s almost impossible to know what the full diagnosis of the hearing loss is.
Therefore, you’re vulnerable to buying hearing aids that aren’t specific and therefore ineffective for your unique hearing circumstances.
2. Your Ears Are Not Professionally Examined
In a similar way to how an optometrist examines your eyes in order to give you the most accurate advice on how to treat an eyesight problem, so too does an audiologist need access to your ears to do the same for a potential hearing loss problem.
This is why it truly baffles us that again, this physical examination process is skipped in the OTC purchase process, which is potentially a massive waste of money and time for you.
3. Would You Know How To Fit Your Own Hearing Aids?
Because, with OTC, you’re expected to.
Audiologists train for 7 years to ensure they know exactly how to fit hearing aids correctly. Without that training, how can you be expected to know whether you’ve fit them correctly – it’s not a fair game! It’s so important to have a professional fit your devices to ensure they’re working exactly how you need them to.
At Alaska Hearing & Tinnitus Center, we have a multi-step fitting process that ensures total accuracy
4. Once Purchased, You’re On Your Own
Once you have purchased your OTC devices, that’s it – the service and support stops there.
This means that if you have any problems, you lose a device, or you’re not getting the performance that you require, there is little to no support for you, which includes warranties.
5. You’re Not Covered For Loss Or Damage
As hearing aids are tiny in comparison to say, your smartphone, it makes them very easy to lose or damage, and this is something we hear about day in, day out with our patients, which is why we will always cover you for such loss or damage.
However, with OTC devices, you receive no loss or damage warranty, which means that if you lose them, you need to buy them again.
Introducing Our Low-Priced Comprehensive Hearing Care Solution:
The ‘OTC Done Properly’ Package
When it comes to maintaining your hearing health, there should be no cut-corners, and yet, of course, we understand that price has a big part to play in your decision-making.
That’s why we want to reassure you that with us, great hearing aids and great hearing care are totally accessible.
It’s playfully called the “OTC Done Properly” Package and it delivers you great technology that is professionally tailored to your exact hearing loss with a professional hearing assessment, fitting, and ongoing support by the most trusted hearing care experts in Anchorage and Eagle River.
It’s your way to access better hearing for a great price while ensuring that you’re getting the best possible performance – tailored to you.
At just $2449 – this delivers you the complete package for only slightly less than you would be expected to pay for over-the-counter devices – but with all the benefits.
The “OTC Done Properly” Package includes:
- An entry-level hearing device from a top manufacturer – with crystal-clear sound quality, a sleek design, and Bluetooth connectivity.
- A professional hearing check performed by a doctor of audiology
- Comprehensive multi-step fitting process – this ensures you get the absolute best in terms of comfort and efficiency.
- 12-month repair, loss, or damage warranty ensuring you’re fully protected
- A $500 contribution toward upgraded hearing technology within your first 12 months – if you decide that you would like to step into upgraded technology or get a better performance within your first 12 months, then you can benefit from a $500 contribution.
- 30-day trial period on your hearing devices (excluding service fees) – in the unlikely case that your hearing aids aren’t right for you, you can return them within 30 days of purchase.
Would You Like To Schedule An Appointment To Explore The ‘OTC Done Properly’ Package?
To discover whether the “OTC Done Properly” package is right for you, the first step is to schedule a professional hearing assessment to understand your hearing challenges.
Simply complete the form on this page and we’ll contact you shortly to schedule a date/time for your visit.
Alternatively, if you have any questions, you can request a callback from one of our hearing professionals by clicking here.